About the Coalition for Security and Competitiveness
The Coalition for Security and Competitiveness was launched on March 6 with the forwarding to President Bush of initial recommendations for enhancing U.S. security and competitiveness through modernization of the export control system. Formed by eight leading associations, the Coalition seeks to modernize the export control system so that America is prepared to meet the security and economic challenges of the 21st century.
The United States currently faces unprecedented threats to its security both at home and abroad. In confronting these threats, we must be able to exploit the full advantage we derive from our economic strength and technological prowess. To that end, the U.S. export control system must be modernized so that it is better able to respond quickly and effectively to evolving security threats, and promote our nation’s continued economic and technological leadership. The Coalition for Security and Competitiveness, representing multiple industry and trade associations, is committed to working with the Executive Branch and Congress in a cooperative spirit to accomplish these important goals.
The Coalition was formed to achieve a more efficient, predictable, and transparent export control system that is an enabling component of America’s broader national security strategy.
In keeping with our mission and goals, we believe that a modern export control system should:
- Accurately identify and safeguard sensitive and militarily critical technologies;
- Enhance U.S. technological leadership and global industrial competitiveness through more responsive and efficient regulatory management;
- Facilitate defense trade and technological exchange with allies and trusted partners;
- Support a strong U.S. technology industrial base and highly-skilled workforce; and,
- Promote greater multilateral cooperation with our friends and allies on export controls.
The Coalition for Security and Competitiveness welcomes the support and participation of others who recognize the importance for the United States of having an efficient, predictable and transparent export controls system that supports U.S. national security and competitiveness.
- Press Release Announcing the Coalition for Security and Competitiveness
- Letter to the President on Export Control Modernization, March 6, 2007
- Coalition Recommendations for Modernizing Export Controls on Dual-Use Items
- Coalition Recommendations for Modernizing Export Controls on Munitions List Items